A new internet video has, at once, shocked and captivated viewers all over the world with its heartbreaking and rarely seen reality. On October 10, 29-year-old father and Ohio resident Brendan Clark had the tragic misfortune of having to tell his eight-year-old son that his mother died the night before of an apparent heroin overdose. Clark, who himself is nearly 100 days clean from heroin, took the video without his son’s knowledge in an effort to illustrate the reality of what addiction and subsequent overdose does to families. It was released with a detailed caption cautioning others against the devastating impact of this drug.
It’s been a little over a year and a half since mother, addiction prevention advocate and Huffington Post blogger, MaryBeth Cichocki lost her son to opioid addiction. She has since channeled her immeasurable pain and grief toward working to curb such addiction and hold each and every stakeholder accountable for its proliferation. This includes speaking at events and commiserating with mothers who have met with similar tragedy. Her most recent blog post outlines her journey to a rally she attended in Washington DC this past week to speak with fellow mothers who lost their children to addiction. The entry outlines, in raw detail, the depth of Cichocki’s loss and the strength she exhibits in her endeavor to advocate for her others. Recovery Unplugged was on to stand in solidarity with Cichoki and the rest of the attendees.